Long long ago –
– Football? The one with the ball and boys kicking it around and shouting in joy when it fell into the drain (which for some reason they kept referring to as ‘goal’)? Nope, don’t know anything about it.
– Offside? Eh?
– Cricket? Oh yeah! We girls got runners. We girls were also the uppuku-chappanis (roughly translates to namesakes). The dustbin at the end of the field was a boundary for fours. Rubber ball, coconut branch bat? Sure, I know cricket.
– LBW? Say what?
The present day –
– Football? The one with the black and white ball (which is stamped with the name of the countries playing that match), lotsa men who earn in gazillions for kicking the ball around? Cristiano Ronaldo? Thierry Henry? Ballack? Scolari? Oh yeah, I know.
– Offside? Well..er.. atleast two guys from the opposite team between the guy and the goal-post when the pass is being made? Close? This is all I can remember. Ever.
– Cricket? Heck, yeah! IPL, MS Dhoni and Ganguly taking his shirt off at Lords? Sure. Power plays, third umpires, Gilchrist keeping a tiny ball inside his gloves to get a better grip? But, ofcourse!
– LBW? You mean when the Hawkeye predicts the trajectory going through the stumps? I can’t do this.
Lesson: Some things never change.
Seriously, what’s the deal with ‘offside’ in football and ‘lbw’ in cricket? No matter how many times someone explains it to me, I still can’t get it right. Ok, maybe the first time I do, but after that? No way! Atleast ‘offside’ I can guess, but ‘LBW’?! Dear God, no! I can’t. I mean, how in the world do those umpires know?!! Well, maybe that explains why I’m not an umpire (among other things, I’d die of boredom if I’m anywhere near a cricket match, forget bang right in the middle of the field).
I know I’m writing more often about sports. But it’s just everywhere around you, it’s kinda hard not to notice. If you spend a good 4 hours every evening in front of the TV with Neo Sports or ESPN on, you’ll start writing football and cricket even if you’d been living in the bushes for a 100 years or just discovered fire.
Or maybe it’s a darn Monday and this is the only draft in my blog-draft folder that’s worth posting (since all the others are just downright crap).
Sometimes I’ve found that you could tolerate a Monday if you have reasons other than work to come to work. Like if you’re wearing your brand new shirt or salwar-kameez or saree (as applicable, ofcourse). Or if just caught Grey’s Anatomy on TV (9 AM to 10 AM IST every Monday – life’s little mercies, me thinks) and you’re still thinking what’s gonna happen next week since Meredith got pushed into the sea trying to rescue some other bloke. Or if you have something to look forward to in your lunch box (this could keep you going till lunch time – after that, the blues hit ya real hard).
Happy Monday, everyone.
P.S: If you have nothing new to wear or if you don’t watch Grey’s Anatomy or if your lunch box contains good ol’ curd rice, you could still try to handle the blues by tweaking around with your blog template, add/remove widgets, try to edit the CSS and be met with a WordPress message that you have to ‘buy’ the feature to publish the edited CSS or add post scripts to your already published posts.