My best friend (inanimate-object friend!) is most definitely my prized Victorinox Swiss Army knife (picture above). I think it qualifies as the single most useful, most handy tool ever invented by man. I always carry it in my purse and there were numerous times when I have thanked myself for keeping it there!
This knife was a gift from my dad. Well, what sort of dad gives his daughter a knife, eh? See, the thing is..Dad didn’t exactly give it to me. **sly smile** It was there in the cupboard and I just assumed it was for me. But it sounds good to say it’s a gift from dad no? 🙂
I never bothered much about it when I was going to college from home. But its presence was totally required when I moved to Hyderabad to ‘stand on my own feet’ (till then I was standing on my parents’ feet) . Somehow, this little object gave me a lot of courage. There was this time when I had to walk a few hundred feet from the bus stop to my house and there were no street lights – obviously, I freaked out. I then pulled out my trusted knife, took out the knife thingie and kept that in my hand and walked home. If someone, god forbid, had tried to get funny then, well, he wouldn’t have seen the light of day (atleast, that’s what I tell myself – Muawahahaha).
And now I can’t believe I used to do that.
Other uses for my dear knife included –
1. Cutting impossible Ruffles Lays chips’ packets in trains (I think Pepsi foods has a grudge on its customers and expects us to spend effort and tear the packet to eat the 5 tiny chips inside)
2. Screwing the handle back onto my pressure cooker (I do this everyday! Stupid handle won’t stay!)
3. Cutting birthday cakes at my workplace if the official cake-cutter-knife-keeping colleague is not available
4. Opening a bottle of wine – the first time I saw my husband do this, I was so excited. I still dont know why.
5. I used that criss-cross edgy thingie (I’m bad at naming things, I dont wanna think about naming my kid) to cut the lock on my bag (no, I wasn’t ‘stealing’ my own stuff, the key stopped working, hence the cutting). I wasn’t successful, but then, it was useful in the beginning.
6. Opened numerous bottles of Maggi Tomato Ketchup. And spend the next few minutes fishing out the cap from under the refrigerator or the table.
You should see the look on people’s faces when they are searching for a pair of scissors and you say ‘Hey, I got it’ and just pop out your Swiss knife! There are still some tools in it that I haven’t found a use for. Yet. I love it, you know. Its really cute at the same time so ruff ‘n tuff with the different tools in it. This is one thing I’m never gonna let go of. My suggestion – every girl should have one. It’s really handy and a must-have in any purse. Oh, did you know? The latest ones come with a compact flash drive too! Hi-tech eh?!
Whoever said a dog was man’s best friend did not have a Swiss Army Knife!